1994 spx starts and revs up but doesnt go, sheer pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangman87

i have a 1994 seadoo spx and it start, idles good, but once i give it gas it seems to hesitate, when it doesnt hesitate it just revs up. i think its possibly a broken sheer pin? any ideas

Hi and welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

It's been a long time since I've heard "sheer pin'. Probably most of the guys never have heard it. SeaDoo's don't have sheer pins. For guys who never heard of sheer pins, old outboards used them, when you hit an obstruction the sheer pin would break to save the prop. and the lower unit, they have since been replaced by an internal clutch. I can remember when I was a kid, being out middle of the lake, having to paddle to the bank, and my Dad cussing the motor and changing the sheer pin. That's the history lesson for today.

What you've got is a problem known as cavitation, the most probable cause is a worn out wear ring. Check the clearance between the impeller and the wear ring, should be no more than .040". Also check for gouges and missing pieces. What happens as the wear ring wears the impeller looses suction and air gets past through the gap between the impeller and the wear ring.

Hope this helps, you can download a manual from this site if you become a premium member. Or you can get one from another site.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
hey lou, thanks for your reply, as this is my first post. my dad told me that it was possible that it was a sheer pin. i guess he was wrong. all the info i can get is great. i've heard that it would possibly be the wear ring(thats the piece that surrounds the impeller correct?)is this caused from rocks, brush, etc.?

I guess your Dad and I are of the same generation, I knew exactly what he was talking about with the sheer pin.

Basically the wear ring protects the impeller and the pump. It is designed as the name states to wear, so when a rock, stick, or other foreign object enters the pump the softer wear ring takes the brunt of the impact.

Here's a link to a thread on the subject.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?20587-how-to-change-WEAR-RING

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help, im not much of a mechanic, what should this cost to replace, ive heard from around 150 to 200?is this in the ballpark?

150.00 to 200.00 sounds about right. The parts and materials about 75.00, the rest is labor. It's really not a hard job and we can help you.

Yes you can get a stainless wear ring, I don't recommend it, as it defeats the purpose of the wear ring, instead of ruining a 50.00 wear ring you're going to ruin your 300.00 impeller. The stainless wear rings are used mostly for racing.

Lou

i appreciate the information, i just dont have time to take care of it myself, this has already been a very helpful site, thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back