1994 Seadoo XP VTS troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

njcowboy

This is my first post so be gentle.

I am troubleshooting a VTS problem.

Here is what I did so far.
I pulled the VTS motor and tested with a 12v trickle charger. It spins great in both directions.
I tested the voltage from the blue/orange, green/orange wire. The relays click and I get 12.4 and -12.4v depending on the direction (up or down)

When I attach the motor, and do the same thing, the relays click, the motor "bumps" forward and then stops. I can not make a decision wether or not the vts module in the electric box is bad or the motor is causing to much strain on the relays and is tripping them.

Both the motor and the relays are pristine in appearance. The ski was not used for years.

I don't want to just pluck a part and try it, but I am leaning towards the VTS module

Gearbox.....?

When you removed the motor, did you check the gear box on the VTS linkage? That motor spins a shaft with a worm gear on it. That's where the shaft torque is on the motor. That having to much torque on it, from not being lubricated will cause the problems your describing.
Good luck, let us know what you find out..............:cheers:

When you removed the motor, did you check the gear box on the VTS linkage? That motor spins a shaft with a worm gear on it. That's where the shaft torque is on the motor. That having to much torque on it, from not being lubricated will cause the problems your describing.
Good luck, let us know what you find out..............:cheers:

Yes, I did check it.
The linkage spins freely.

The motor was tested without any load on it and the relays dropped out. I checked the amp draw on the motor. No load it was at 1.8amps connected to the VTS word gear and linkage, it was drawing under 3 amps while under load.

Limit switch....

I'm going out on a limb here, because I'm not looking at the drawing right now. But you seem to have a good handle on this electrically.
When you push the button to lower the VTS, when it reaches the end of it's travel, I'd imagine it has a limit switch that will turn off the motor. Same as when you push the button to trim it up. Do you think maybe, that limit switch may be at fault?
I don't remember seeing a test on the relays, but I'll look for you later. I also see Scubadoo in the forum, he may have an answer for you.
have to go pick my kids up from school...........good luck

I'm going out on a limb here, because I'm not looking at the drawing right now. But you seem to have a good handle on this electrically.
When you push the button to lower the VTS, when it reaches the end of it's travel, I'd imagine it has a limit switch that will turn off the motor. Same as when you push the button to trim it up. Do you think maybe, that limit switch may be at fault?
I don't remember seeing a test on the relays, but I'll look for you later. I also see Scubadoo in the forum, he may have an answer for you.
have to go pick my kids up from school...........good luck

One this model, I do not believe there is high and low limits as I had read many stories of people stripping out the worm drive because they hit the high or low to long and it breaks the plastic.

I am taking my seadoo to a buddy who is a electrical engineer. he claims that we can rig this with one single dual relay switch using the existing barrel plugs and then waterproof the relay inside the electrical box.

If it works, I will post the mod here. The tyco relay is about 15 dollars compared to 150 for the VTS module. I can't see why it wouldn't

That sounds Like plan. Keep us posted as I know a lot of members have had the same problem... sounds like a good fix.

ScubaDoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back