1994 Sea-Doo (5862) Rehab

Philip.camp

I purchased a couple machines from my uncle. They had been sitting for >5 years. When I hooked a battery up to them and try to start, I get a hard clunk (likely starter) and then nothing. I sprayed PB Blaster into the cylinders (spark plugs removed) and I’m letting it sit until this week end. I’ll try to get to the drive shaft this week end and see if I can get it to rotate.

I’m brand new to these type machines. I’m really wanting to learn how it works and how to maintain them. I have books for it, but not the owners manual. Can someone point me in the direction to get the owners manual? Also, do they make @ “Chilton” or “Haynes” manual for these machines?

Thanks a bunch!

Phil

Don’t lose the spring that goes under the needle and seat lever, they are special springs and are no longer available, just re use that spring when rebuilding the carbs and order from OSD Marine, Amazon and aftermarket kits won’t work

Just some words of advise.
1. IMO, I would try and get a compression test done first to see what shape the engine is in. New engines typically are 130 PSI and worn out engine are around 110 PSI. Use a good compression guage.
2. Get a good battery and don't ever jump these skis with a jumper pack or car, it will fry your electronics.
3. Get new spark plugs, make sure it is exactly right, these skis are temperamental on spark plugs.
4. Sometimes people forget these are 2 strokes, so make sure you are keeping the cylinder walls lubricated. Try not to use starting fluid. Mix gas and 2 stroke oil to spray in carb.
5. Because it has been sitting I would clean out the gas tank and oil tank. Use the correct oil, which is API-TC...not TC-W3. Don't mix different brands of oil, they can react badly to each other.
6. Check your grounds, these skis have problems with grounds being corroded and loose. It causes a lot of starting issues. Also check your main power wires, they corrode from the inside.
7. Lastly, don't throw parts at it. It normally causes more problems because aftermarket parts are hit and miss on quality and function. If it is electronic or has a seal try to go OEM. Do replace any normal maintenance item though, filters and such. With it sitting they are probably bad.

Everyone here will try and help, just search the forum or post what the current problem is, there are some smart/experienced people on here.

Back