1994 GTX Resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggo369

Hey all - I got a 1994 GTX off CL not long ago and was told it needed a new MPEM. After replacing various small parts, and the MPEM, it appeared to be ready to go.

As soon as I got it in the water this weekend (for the first time), appeared to have a gas issue, and then a spark issue (it stopped running). Now there appears to be no power to the plugs, based on no ignition, and the timing light I hooked up.

Can anyone suggest why the this might be the case, and could I have easily burnt out a MPEM?

Thanks for your help! Note: this is my first jet ski.

message occasionally posted by me for new members with older skis:

Welcome to the best SeaDoo forum, loads of good information and help out here.

Assumption is that you just acquired your SeaDoos? Will provide basic hints/requirements for the older skis, especially if sitting unused for some period of time.

#1 - requirement, not hint: fuel system: if you have the gray Tempo fuel lines, replace them and clean/rebuild carbs before riding again. These are high-performance 2-strokes and very sensitive to lean running which will destroy your engines. Most members here use automotive fuel line, nothing special, not positive for your models but typically a 25' roll from auto parts store should do and save you a couple $.

#2 - while at it in the fuel delivery system, clean/check the fuel pre-filter for leaks, recommend replace fuel selector (may be able to get by with cleanout, but they are relatively inexpensive). A lot of us add an additional fuel filter just prior to the carbs (automotive Fram G-2 is commonly used at less than $5)

#3 - get rid of old gas

#4 - If it cannot be verified that the proper injection oil is being used, change it. For 587/717 engines mineral oil is ok but full-synthetic works (a number of varieties are available for PWC); never use TCW-3 outboard oil.

#5 - acquire the service manual, they are very good ... available here as premium member or download from various sites

The above address engine-killing stuff, deal with ignition stuff next.

Always have fun, these are interesting pieces of machinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back