1994 gts no start

Nolan p

Hello Seadoo experts,

I'm having trouble diagnosing a no-start problem on my buddy's 1994 GTS Seadoo. For context, it has the 587 engine with oil injection. It was running very well when we picked it up a few weeks back, with 150 compression in both cylinders! However, after riding a few times, it started acting up.

It stalled out on the lake while he was riding. He said he accidentally pulled the kill switch. After putting the kill switch back on, the jetski would not start. After trying to start it a few times, the jetski emitted a long beep for 5 seconds. In a panic, he continued trying to start the ski, and it eventually began beeping continuously with the key on.

I tried diagnosing the issue out of water. It had a very strong spark, still had 150 compression, and it seemed like fuel was reaching the cylinders. I tried premix directly into the cylinders, but it did little to nothing when I tried to start it. I bypassed the temp sensor, but that didn't do anything either.

At that point, I started to suspect the timing might be off due to a bad stator or a broken flywheel key shaft. So, my buddy and I pulled the engine. The flywheel cover was drenched in rusty goop, covering the flywheel and stator. We replaced both components with OEM parts. The flywheel seemed fine, but the stator had two broken connections.

After reinstalling the engine with fresh parts, fresh gas, and a hopeful spirit, we gave it another shot. It backfired a few times and started for a second or two, but it still won't fully fire up. We're kind of lost in the diagnostic process and would appreciate any insight.

Attachments

• IMG_9757.jpeg
    IMG_9757.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 74104555132__2584260E-17B1-4C7B-B0DD-293B8EFBDBDA.jpeg
    74104555132__2584260E-17B1-4C7B-B0DD-293B8EFBDBDA.jpeg
    838.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0154.jpeg
    IMG_0154.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 3
It still sounds like the timing is off. Are you sure the new stator is lined up correctly? There should be factory marks stamped on the stator and engine case to line up. If that is ok, your rotary valve might be off. I would pull the carbs to verify it is still working correctly.

Also, it looks like you have grey fuel lines. If that is the case you will need to change those out asap (google seadoo grey lines and green goo) and do a full carb rebuild using mikuni parts. The carbs might be gummed up.

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty confident I aligned the stator in the same orientation as it was previously installed when it was running. However, I couldn't find the timing marks for it. I'll check the rotary valve, clean the carburetor, and install new lines.

Am I wrong in thinking that putting premix directly in the cylinders can help determine if it's a fuel-related issue? Also, is there a possibility that this could be caused by a faulty or shorting kill switch?

Picture courtesy of etemplet. The mark on the stator is under the washer.

If you put some premixed fuel direct into the cylinders the engine should fire up. So you can do that as a test.

Can there be an issue with the kill switch. Sure, anything is possible. But I would bet on the carbs if I was a betting man. Right now fuel lines are 100% an issue. Because of that, carbs are likely an issue. So i would focus on the obvious before we start hypothesising about other possible causes. And while the carbs are off verify the rotary valve is working.

Attachments

• 1722906455531.png
    1722906455531.png
    728.3 KB · Views: 2
Back