1992 SP no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevlh20

My 1992 Sp turns over but no spark if i turn it over there is a long beep for 15 seconds. I replaced the ignition coil with one i knew worked but no spark and still a long beep. Ive researched but cant find what that beep means. Anyone know?

I believe one long beep means that the lanyard cap isn't recognized by the lanyard post. I would use soap and water to clean the post and reconnect the cap. Don't use any oil based of grease as it won't make good contact.
Let me know, if this works. If the Dess (Digital Electronic Safety System)/ lanyard cap isn't communicating to the Mpem (Multi Purpose Electronic Modular) the control center of the electrical componets. The Dess cap has a ROM chip that links to the Mpem when connected so no one can steal your seadoo. It will beep once if it is the wrong one or it doesn't read it.

Karl

hmmm, let me pull up the manual on the 1992 sp...just to be sure we are talking about the same machine... I'll post in couple minutes..
Karl

We are having a power spikes here and I keep loosing Internet service, before I can reload the manual. I'll keep trying and get back soon, I hope with an answer... I hope...I reloaded it like 4 times already.
Karl

Buzzer...

The 92 SP does not have the DESS. THe buzzer is likely your temperature sensor. Probably bad.
You said you were able to turn the motor over, but not fire. Chances are, the tether may not be making the circuit.
Because your ski is so old, I haven't read a lot in this manual.....if you know how to check continuity, check your start/stop switch and your lanyard switch to see you get an open and closed circuit.
Let us know what your results are, in the mean time, I'll go through the manual a little more to see if I can help you out. Be careful working on your electricals, they can be shorted if you remove wires and hook them up with the battery connected. I haven't read about your module and what type you have, but I'm sure you got one and that will be what cost you if you blow it!

Thanks seadoosnipe for intervineing...I had problems with INTERNET service today... Your advice is correct it doesn't have DESS...I hope the advice isn't too late. Let us know your progress.
Karl

The ski has a stop button on the handle bar. Maybe that kills the spark in order for the ski to shut off. Maybe that is stuck on. Ill check it out tomorrow. Yall both have been loads of help with the past and with this. Many thanks to both of yall!

power outage....

That's a good excuse Karl, especially when the Mobile Press headlines this morning read "Power Grid Glitch causes massive Florida blackout"........so, I think I can vouch for your not being able to access the net!....
...but guess what? I live in Alabama!............:rofl:

OK, I bought a multimeter and there is voltage comming from the coil for like 5 seconds and then it stops. What could I test to make sure both my coils arent bad?

voltage....

O.k...if you have voltage to your coils for 5 seconds, then it stops, I'll assume your power switches work.
Did you check the continuity on your lanyard and the start/stop button? I'll look in the manual and see if there is any resistance test on your coils.

ADDITIONAL INFO: Kev, I'm only showing one coil on your 587 cc motor. Are we talking about the same thing. The coil is what both your spark plug wires connect to.
I need to know what you are talking about that you only get power to for 5 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea the coil is connected to the spark plugs. I got that far. It seems to be firing for like a couple of seconds and quits. What kind of voltage should be sent to the coil from that red wire?

Voltage....

I'm at work right now Kev....but I wanted to make sure because you said coils and there is only one on your Doo. I don't have the manual in front of me, but I'll look for a test tomorrow on how you can test it. If you have any power for any period of time, seems to me that it should be o.k......maybe the coil is going out.
I'll get up with you tomorrow moring, about 10:00 a.m., my time (central)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back