1990 sea doo SP PTO oil seal popping off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sea doo forums,

Beginning of this summer I decided to get into the sea doo game as a hobby, which has been really fun and this site has helped me a lot, so thank you to all the great resources available. I feel I have learned a lot from here and also from my farther who is a car and former boat mechanic, I consider myself an advanced beginner at this point.

Lets get into the issue I am having, I bought two sea doos in terrible shape this summer 1992 sea doo sp (working decently now) and a 1990 sea doo sp (the problematic one). I completed a top end rebuild (bored and wsm pistons) and changed all the oil seals and orings on the crank for the 92 sp white motor it is running nicely now after all put together. I am now in the progress of doing the same thing for the 90 sp yellow motor, but when taking the crankcase apart there was no retaining shim on the pto side and the pto oil seal had popped out. I assumed the old owner forgot to put the retaining shim in, but when assembling the crankcase there seems to be no room for it to fit (pics attached). I purchased a retaining shim and decided to leave it out and try it (pics attached), after all put together I performed a leak down test and the brand new pto oil seal popped right out of the crankcase at about 6 psi! Flew through the garage and landed 10-15 feet away. I am thinking maybe my pto side bearings are too far apart and not allowing for the shim to be inserted, but then the outer ring of oil seal won't have a divot to sit in as I only see one divot, but on the 580 white motor there are two divots. Few questions for you great folks:

1. Does anyone know the width of the distance gauge (290 876 826)?
2. Has anyone faced an issue like this in the past? When looking at pictures of the yellow motor online I do see the retaining shim

Thanks,
Corey

Attachments

• oil-seal-put-back-on-after-failed-leak-down-test.jpg
    oil-seal-put-back-on-after-failed-leak-down-test.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 25
  • pto-ide-bearing-distance.jpg
    pto-ide-bearing-distance.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 26
  • pto-side-oil-seal-after-assembly-before-leak-down-test.jpg
    pto-side-oil-seal-after-assembly-before-leak-down-test.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 23
  • retaining-shim-front-angle.jpg
    retaining-shim-front-angle.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 23
  • retaining-shim-side-angle.jpg
    retaining-shim-side-angle.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 23
Looking at other 580 yellow crankcases online it seems like someone milled the end of crankcase PTO side for some reason and removed the space/divot for the retaining shim to sit in! Does that make sense? My analysis on another crankcase I found online attached.

Thanks,
Corey

Attachments

• 580-yellow-proper-case-with-captions.png
    580-yellow-proper-case-with-captions.png
    721.6 KB · Views: 18
Im not looking at any pictures but sometimes there is a recess in the housing for the seal. Some seals can be replaced without splitting the cases, so seals have a larger lip area that fits into a recess in the engine case to hold them in position. The key is that the seal is locked into positionl Good Luck !

Update: I ended up buying a new crankcase and it has the second slot for the crankshaft retaining shim, issue solved. Pics attached of the new one I purchased.

I can't believe somebody milled my original crankcase, hopefully this doesn't happen for someone in the future!

Attachments

• yellow-crankcase-slot-pic1.jpg
    yellow-crankcase-slot-pic1.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 10
  • yellow-crankcase-slot-pic2.jpg
    yellow-crankcase-slot-pic2.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back