1989 seadoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdon4

I am not sure if i am doing this post in the correct location, so if it is I would like to say sorry ahead of time.
I just got my first jet ski about 2 weeks ago and this last weekend i got it home and tried to start it and it would not start. What a dissapointment that was for myself and my girlfriends daughter We want to ride it now. hahaha
Well my problem is it will not start, it has no spark. I hooked a test light up to the wire going into the coil and the light flickered like it would be sparking. I dont know anyother way to test the coil.
I tried to call the dealer to get a replacement part for it and they said they dont make them any more any they can not help me. So I am tring to figure it out myself because there is always a way.
I did find a part number on the coil on my machine it is 129700-1170 but the dealer said that was not a seadoo part number. So now I have no idea what to do. I would like to find a used part, but i dont know what models i can get this part from, it has to be used on other years and models then just the 1989 model, maybe used in skidoo's?
any help would be great.
Thanks,
Don

Welcome to the seadoo forum Don. You need to add your seadoo model and year to you avatar so we can give you better help.Use mine as an example. In general be sure you have a full charged battery, new if possible. If the seadoo turns over ok and the fuses are all ok, remove the spark plug cap and cut off 1/4" off the end of the wire. Re-install the spark cap and see if that doesn't help. Check all the wire plugs to be sure they are getting a good connection.
Let us know it this helps.

If your thread is in the wrong section, either myself or another mod will move it for you.

Karl

I just put a test light on to the spark plug wire and it did show power going to them. When I put the plugs in and try to start it i do not see a spark.
Any ideas?:stupid:

hey stud, apologize for tak'n so long to post, BUT, couldnt deter myself from ur avatar....:o

#290866607 is for coil, but its obsolete, so, check out ebay, and i'm sure, other coils from that yr/yrs will work..90, 91..etc.

Find the mpem, and unplug the red/black wire, then try to fire it, If it does, then you'll need new mpem, which theres tons of 'm out there as well, along w/ aftermarket ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh...how would you see a spark with the spark plugs in...Try cutting the coil wire to see if that helps. If the wire is corroded under compression it won't fire.

Also I'll move your thread to "PWC" "Troubleshooting".

Karl

i mean i pulled the plugs and put the plugs back into in the wire and put them near metal to see if there is a spark. Also I did cut the plug wires back

hey stud, apologize for tak'n so long to post, BUT, couldnt deter myself from ur avatar....:o

#290866607 is for coil, but its obsolete, so, check out ebay, and i'm sure, other coils from that yr/yrs will work..90, 91..etc.

Find the mpem, and unplug the red/black wire, then try to fire it, If it does, then you'll need new mpem, which theres tons of 'm out there as well, along w/ aftermarket ones.

The MPEM,( Multi Purpose Electronic Control Module) It controls all the electronics...It might be the culprit.

Karl

The real deal

I thought I would clarify a thing or two in case someone needed info on this subject. The 1989 SP does not us an MPEM. On the 89, each module is separate. Here are all of the electrical components located in the electrical box under the battery--> Rectifier, Engine speed limiter, starter solenoid and an inline fuse. The other two electrical components are the CDI box (Capacitor discharge ignition) and the coil, and are located behind the flywheel cover. Do keep in mind however, if you consult a 1989 service manual, it says that the rev limiter is also behind the flywheel cover (directly behind the coil), I'm sure this is true for some of them, but all of the ones I have seen and worked on are in the electrical box (weird I know but trust me). Also the years of skis to look for so you can find parts are 1989-1991. You can easily get an after market engine speed limiter (search also rev limiter) online for about $105. These are nice because they are kind of cheap and they allow for setting the actual rev limit where as stock you can't do that. I am pretty sure you can get other parts online, but ebay is always a good resource.

As far as no spark on an SP. The first thing I would check is your lanyard switch. Operate the switch by hand while you turn it over and see if you can make it stop sparking or spark for that mater, if some wires are crossed in the electrical box, this switch will operate backward. Next check the rev limiter with an ohm meter. Unhook all 3 (brown, black and red) wires from the rev limiter put your leads on the black and brown wire and note the resistance. Then switch your leads on the same wire, also note the resistance. They should be about the same. Now connect the red wire to a +12v power source (not to a running machine) and the brown to the -12v. Check the resistance of the brown and black wires again and the resistance should be high in one direction and low in another (when you switch the leads). If it fails any of these tests this might be your problem. I'm not sure how to test a CDI box or coil, but if you are getting some power, it might be that the CDI is messed up and not putting out enough juice, maybe check the output of the magneto wires with a volt meter and see if its making good power. At that point you can make your way up through each component checking the voltage output to see what isn't working right.

That should help a bit, the other thing you can play with is the engine stop button on the handle bar but I haven't heard of these things to go bad really...... Sweet Post I know :-P

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back