1988 Bombardier Gtx--Part search--Please HELP!>!?? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekitin

Hi,
New to the Forum and seadoos. My brother in law and sister bought a pair last year and we have spent most of the summer on the river with them having a great time. Of course, my husband decided he HAD to have a pair of his own. Long story short--he bought one from my brother in law that we have been riding all summer. Its a 1988 GTX bombardier. Took it out 2 weekends ago--ran perfect all saturday. That sunday went back out to river--my daughter and I were on it--first ones, full tank of gas--was running fine--hits up at 60. On way back to beach (river not salt water) sorta sputtered, lost some power, and gas light came on...We knew it wasn't out of fuel, so of course, every guy with us jumps on to see what its doing..within 15 minutes of people getting on it--it had lost almost all power--wouldn't go over 10 to 15 mph..Has a full tank of gas and fine on oil. Towed it in, changed plugs--they were dirty. Still did same thing. Brought her home, and started full inspection. Now please keep in mind, NONE of us have ever owned or worked on a seadoo before now :( sigh--Anyhow, my husband found a line that looks disconnected-or broke-coming from a "part" on the oil reservoir. Looks like a little "plunger" that sits in the oil reservoir. Has a tee on top--with an electrical connection as well. The bottom of it is also cracked. It has a part number on it. 270-000-173. I have been reading and searching all week, and it may be my lack of knowledge of them, or just frustration, but I cannot for the life of my find this part. I have found a something similar-but it was on a 1996 model. Closest thing I can match what it actually LOOKS like they are calling a grommet...? But I just don't think that is what I am looking for. I will take a picture in a few when my daughter gets home with her iphone, but for now--anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance!

Mary

Hi and welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

Well, a 1988 GTX doesn't exist. Could it be a 98? Check the last two digits on the hin, hull identification number is the model year.

Lou

Ok, My apologies..(Told you we didn't know anything about them) ;) I saw a sticker on back that says "Bombardier Inc. Rd./Enr, 1988--
However, going on your advice--Im getting a 96 now? ZZNJ8845E696 AND 5640 right after that, so Im now guessing 96? LOL Anyway I am putting together a picture of the part, where it came from and the disconnected line we saw.

seadoo.jpg
Ok, My apologies..(Told you we didn't know anything about them) ;) I saw a sticker on back that says "Bombardier Inc. Rd./Enr, 1988--
However, going on your advice--Im getting a 96 now? ZZNJ8845E696 AND 5640 right after that, so Im now guessing 96? LOL Anyway I am putting together a picture of the part, where it came from and the disconnected line we saw.

Here is picture
View attachment 14164

That's the oil sensor see post 5. I'm not sure I can't tell from the picture but the extra hose is probably the battery vent hose.

Lou

WOW! Yes That looks like our part!! Thank you so MUCH! So, now this grey hose on the left in picture does or does NOT attach to this part?

The connection that the red arrow is pointing to is the vent it looks like it should but there is no connection here. The other grey hose looks like the gas vent it should go through the hull, look and see if there is a hole in the hull just under the rub rail.

Lou

Ok--

Ok so, please be patient with my elementary colors and shapes, but I want to be sure I am understanding you correctly. So If I am, in this picture hull.jpg

I found the "hole" in this area underneath the rub rail inside and this line with this "nipple" on it just sticks in there?

And in this picture

oilsensor.jpg

There should be a small hose with another "nipple" attached to it that also attaches to nothing else??

Thanks so much for being patient!

Mary

Question 1: Yes the gas vent hose just goes through the hull, I believe there is a grommet that goes on the outside of the hull to hold the fitting in, you can probably find one at the hardware store or just use a cable tie.

Question 2: Nothing connects to the check valve on the oil sensor, it's just a vent for the oil tank.

Lou

Ok--Thanks SOO much I think I got it! Would you order one of Ebay or would you recommend I wait to hear from minnetonka4me? Oh, and--didn't even think to ask, but hopefully this would have been the reason for the running problem??

I am worried that you have a bigger issue than all of this...but....since that vent line is down and you had a full tank of gas it might have got some gas in there and the fuel pump is having trouble pulling gas b/c the tank wasnt venting.

The easy test would be putting back in place and going to test it. If it runs for a few mins then acts up, open the gas lid a bit to vent it and if that resolves the issue....you have a venting issue.

Unfortunately....I'm doubting its the issue. A compression test is in order to see if the engine is coming apart.

I still need to replace this part right?

Ok, thanks. I definitely will give that a try. Im sure I must need this part though, as you can see the one end that supposed to have a small hose and "vent" or nipple is broke off and the white "vessel" on the oil sensor is cracked where it joins the black part.

oilsensor2.jpg

The vent thing is normal, but yes if the white thing is messed up you'll need it $20 shipped from me.

Its not going to fix your issues though...

Ok, let me know how to order this part from you and will do it asap..I'll get it on and do as you suggested and keep fingers crossed and hopefully we can go from there.. Not sure about how to do a compression test, and I dont know of anyone too local that works on them....:(

Hit up craigslist and talk to a few guys in your area. The one that is willing to try to dianose over the phone and seems the most honest and forthcoming with free info is usually your best guy. The ones that just say "we fix everything" and "just bring it in" run like hell.

My paypal email is nick@westsidepowersports.com I can ship tomorrow.

Thanks..you obviously aren't from the south, lol. "They" always say they can FIX EVERYTHING! Anyway, money sent..and thanks! Hoping I can come back with more questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back