130 SE Lack of power/surging

nenikol23

Purchased a pair of used 2013 130 SE's a few weeks ago. 50h on the meter each. Have been sitting for about 2 years according to prev. owner. They both had about 1/4 tank of gas so I filled up both full to hopefully run them with better gas than just the old one.

Took them out last weekend: Green ski was a rocket, smooth and fast. Black ski was super slow/surging and definitely not running properly.

Wanted to see what the issue was so I decided to swap some basic parts before ordering new since the Green ski ran perfect. That's where the mystery begins.

Step 1: Swapped spark plugs between them - Result: No difference
Step 2: Swapped coil packs - Result: Green ski ran poorer and Black ski seemed to run just a bit better. (confused)
Step 3: Put back coil packs - Result: Same as the result in Step 2.
Step 4: Put back spark plugs (so basically back to original as I bought them) Result: Green ski ran like shit. Black ski was a rocket.

I'm puzzled. Suggestions?

Last edited:
In some formal root cause analysis strategies, they recommend disassembly/reassembly multiple times, before moving to part swap strategy. In your case it's possible the act of assembling and reassembling may have contributed to the issue itself. An example might be a wire connection that was iffy before is better after disassembling/reassembling. Even when employing part-swap strategy they recommend 3 complete swap cycles s to verify the symptom follows the part. (original condition- swap - original condition = 1 swap cycle)

Back