05 RXT Compression Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

RXT05

With 38.5 hrs. 143.8 miles a filter change around 10 hrs. and oil and filter change at 24 hrs. I am getting #1 dry 110psi wet 135psi, #2 dry 130psi wet 150psi, #3 dry 130psi wet 145 psi 30w oil use for wet test. Is there a way to check to oil pressure with a gauge?

Any suggestions?
Put it together and run it?
Possible s-pipe leak?
Intercooler pressured up with 40psi water pressure and no visible leaks.

My wife rode her 05 RXT a week and a half ago Cleaned it up put the cover on and stored it. I was going to look it over and had a spare set of plug so I figured I would change them since it has 38 hours on it and she was going to ride it this week. Found out the dealer sold me the wrong plugs so I cleaned the old ones, cleaned up the coil boots and put silicone lube one them. I figured I would just run it on the hose a bit since I had it out and uncovered. I hooked up the hose and tried to start it as she turned on the water but it would not turn over. Hooked up charger and the battery was full after bumping it a few times it turned a few rounds fired and locked. Pulled plugs and had water in the cylinders. Rolled it and blew the cylinders out... alot of water.... Pulled header s-pipe and muffler... no water in there. Pull out intercooler and found it to be wet and oily. Reached into air plentum and found what seemed like nearly half a gallon of oily water sitting in the bottom of the plentum. I shoved a towel in to soak it up pulled somewhat or a vacuum on the cooler with my mouth to see it if was leaking... seemed ok.... Cleaned up intercooler and put it back in.. no lines on it fired for a few seconds and all sounded fine. I will pulled the intake hose going to the superchager no water in there. I will also need to change the oil since it looks milky.. but it was fine when I checked it prior to finding this issue.

I know the rutine about getting rid of the water in the crackcase......
Most of the water was found in the back #1 cylinder....
I WD40'd all of them.......

Where did this water come from? What about the oil that was with it? We had 2 -3 days of pretty bad rain because of the storm in S. Texas it sits outside with a Seadoo cover on it. She also said she did not roll it over or anything last time she rode it..

What does this code mean?

P1517
Compass out of range
This code was there for a while.

WORRIED ABOUT ROD/BEARING/PISTON DAMAGE IN #1 CYCLINDER!!!!!!!!!

You could have gotten water in the engine by turning the hose on w/o it running. You said "I hooked up the hose and tried to start it as she turned on the water but it would not turn over." Sounds like to me thats what happened. If she had the water running before it was running it will flood the engine.:cheers:

I am pretty sure it was at the sametime since we were less than 10ft. from eachother.... But I did leave it running for maybe 3-4 minutes as I was hooking the charger up.

My real question is how do the comression #'s look before I put it all back together and run it?

Also the charger went from 15amps to 3amps about as fast as I typed this. How long does it take to flood one of these with water?
Also how about that code I see?

Thanks, Tt

O.....you left the water running for 3 or 4 minutes or the engine?
Anyways if the engine didn't run and the water was on for 3 or 4 minutes then that is where your water came from.

That first cylinder doesn't seem good. They should be within 10% of each other.

Saying that it doesnt seem good... meaning pull the head? Take look for a cracked piston? Broken ring? Cracked head?

The PWC mechanic told me at the local Honda shop that since it has had water in it that the rings and or valves may not be seating properly if the had developed a rusty residue. I know him 9-10yrs in the ATV, PWC and motorcycle repair on Polaris, KTM, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha) If it was his... he would put it together and run it some but not hammer on it and check the compression again say in 1-2 hrs of run time. He also said but it is yours do not just take my word.... and blame me if it blows up!!!

Water hose....

:agree:........that number one cylinder doesn't sound good.

Par for the course. The 4-TEC's only need water to flush the exhaust system out. You should be starting the engine, let it run for 30 seconds or so, then you can turn on the water, and not full blast.

The water in your engine did come from the water hose. Which ever way you want to chop it up and dice it, that's how it happened. Either on before it started or on faster than the engine's exhaust gase could push it out.

When you turn on the water, as soon as you turn the knob and hear a flow through it, that's enough..........

I hate to hear of your misfortune........The number one cylinder may just have a bad valve. Before you think about he piston, check the valves.

O.....you left the water running for 3 or 4 minutes or the engine?
Anyways if the engine didn't run and the water was on for 3 or 4 minutes then that is where your water came from.

That first cylinder doesn't seem good. They should be within 10% of each other.

The water......... but the engine also seemed to be hydro-locked prior to leaving it running it turned slightly and stopped. I now know I added to to issue.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back