03 Seadoo GTX 4-TEC won't exceed 30 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.

glavinfr

My 03 Sea-Doo GTX 4-TEC has been running great all season until last week. It starts right up and seems to run fine but won't excelrate past around 30 MPH. I pulled it out of the water and checked the intake for cloggs and there was nothing. I called a local reapir shop and they say it sounds like a gummed up fuel filter due to the ethanol in the fuel.
The say to bring it in and the will take cleanup the fuel filter etc..
Does this sound right. Does anyone have a suggestion that maybe I can do myself before spending $400 or $500.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

That ethanol line is bulls***! I hate when dealers listen to the news and tell you something like that. I would replace the spark plugs first. Chances are you have a fouled plug. Here is how to do it.

4-tec plugs NGK brand, DCPR8E Gap/ 0.7-0.8 MM or .028-.031in.

Chances are it just fouled a plug. To replace the plugs remove the Oil dipstick, remove the plastic cover over the engine, replace the dip stick. Unplug the wire from the spark plug coil ( it's part of the spark plug cap) wiggle and pull the cap/coil out of the spark hole. Be careful not to break it. Loosen the spark plug, insert the cap/coil in to grab the plug and remove it. Gap the new plug, remove the screw top on the top of the plug, insert it in the cap/coil push it in the plug hole. Use a socket to tighten it. Snug it up go about 1/4 turn, loosen and snug it up(this compress the seal ring on the bottom of the new spark plug). Put some grease on the coil cap where it meets the cylinder and insert on the plug. Connect the coil wire. Do one spark plug at a time. Replace the plastic cover. This should solve your problem.

Here is info on the fuel. Gas stations don't sell anything higher than 10%.

Never use fuel containing more than 10 % alcohol,( Methanol or Ethanol) as severe damage will occur. The minimum of 87 Octane is recommended for most engines. Super Chargers need 91 Octane.
Keep us posted.

Karl

03 seadoo gtx 4 tec won't exceed 35 mph now

I changed the plugs and it ran better but still won't exceed 35 mph and the rpm's will go off the chart....when I pulled it out of the water in noticed something stuck in the propelsion track so I pulled it out it looked like a chewed up pastic gasket. Now there's a still a piece of this gasket that I can seem to pull out. It's stuck just in front of the metal blades aboout 10 inches from the back.

So I have two questions now;

I'm hoping this gasket is something I suck up and got lodged in the propelsion system. Is there any chance this gasket came from inside the vehicle and I have a much larger problem?

Does anybody have any advise for how I might free this debris up. If I had a very long pare of needle nosers I could pull it out, maybe. I've been using a hanger with no luck. disambleing this thing does not look like something I want to tackle.

Any advise at all would be great.

Thanks

It sounds to me it is the wear ring that is bad. There shuld be about 1mm of clearence around the impeller. It sounds like the wear ring is what is coming out of the jet pump. Take off teh intake grate and remove the plastic item and see if it isn't the wear ring.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back