01 Challenger Twin 717s BLEW AN ENGINE!!!

Austin69

So we bought the boat a year ago and the guy said engine one (Left) had been replaced at some point. And by the time I finally got back to town to test drive it after sitting all winter I driver for 15 minutes. The dopamine rush was amazing. She cruised baby. Then I went around the corner to a cove, and I upped the throttle to full on both engines for under 10 seconds and engine one abruptly shut off. I tried to restart it, and it would only make a tick noise. It wouldn’t spin. So I ended up spending three hours replacing a starter, which I thought it was the problem at the time! But same result. So I took the jet nozzle off on that engine and I could spin the drive shaft. So then I took my camera and looked around the bottom side of the engine with my flash on and saw this …. A GIANT hole in the side of the crank case I some how missed! First off, how does that even happen? And second yes, I know I need a new engine! Please give me your feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_1146.png
    IMG_1146.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1141.png
    IMG_1141.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1147.jpeg
    IMG_1147.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I've poked around new engines online and found a few sites like ebay and some others selling rebuilt 717's for about $1k with a core charge. Just make sure that whoever you buy from is reputable, has a warranty period, and can tell you what brand parts they used for the repairs.

I'm sorry to hear about this and good luck on the replacement!

Back