Towed a 98' GSX LTD, now it won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruun

Hello. As the title states, I am a newbie to the PWC world.

Long story short, I towed my '97 GSX Limited for aprox. 30 minutes at 15 knobs in salt water, not knowing this was a very big no-no.

When I hopped back on it to get it to the trailer, it wouldn't start. I got '12v low' on the dash/gauge, and realised what happened. I quickly got it up from the water and pulled the drain plugs & tipped it backwards to let the water go out, and put a hose in the plug and started rinsing while trying to turn on the engine without luck. I proceed to drive home, do a quick google, and pull the spark plugs and see if it shoots out water. Nothing, only oil & fuel. The water was filled up to right beneath the battery, but I assume whilst underway it must have been higher. Tried turning the jetski as well and cranking it without spark plugs, but still, oil & fuel. I have recharged the battery with no luck. It tries to start, the 'crank-shaft' spins, but doesn't fire up.

What is the next step? I am clueless and have searched everything, and just can't seem to find any other tips. Is it done for? Unfortunately I had to leave it overnight as I came back quite late from the ride.

You need to open all the electrical boxes and dee if they are full of water, check all electrical plugs are clean and dry.

I am very surprised you towed it that long and no water got into the engine.

You need to open all the electrical boxes and dee if they are full of water, check all electrical plugs are clean and dry.

I am very surprised you towed it that long and no water got into the engine.
I was surprised myself as every post I could find, everybody had water coming out the cylinders. I solved the problem though, emptied the gasoline tank, put new gasoline in, changing the spark-plugs for fresh ones & poured gasoline directly into cylinder (through the spark-plug holes). Took it for a spin for 45 minutes to make sure nothing to warm it up if there was any moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back