Opinions on what ski to buy

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bawray

Right now I have an HX I ride in the ICW and go out in the ocean to jump waves in the surf. I am looking for a second ski for my sons and friends to ride with me in the ICW and possibly in the ocean on occasion. I would like:

1) 2 stroke Seadoo (or possibly another brand)
2) something anyone can jump on and ride (the HX isn't that ski)
3) a somewhat smaller and lighter ski so it can still do some small wave jumping
4) large enough for 2 normal size adults to sit and float without tipping over. Doesn't have to be super comfortable or super stable though. I DON'T want a huge whale of a ski.
5) As simple and non-complicated as possible (min gauges, buttons, bells and whistles).
6) NOT a 947 motor.
5) $3000 or less if possible but I could find more $ for the right ski.

I am thinking a 95 XP, 96 SPX, with the 717 motor, or maybe a 94 XP or 95 SPX with the 657X engine, or maybe a 96 XP or 97 SPX with the 787?

787 is a solid engine if takin care of and my opinion is worth the hp boost from the 720, a gsx could be an option and a 96 xp is definitely a solid ski and very fun.

Don't rule out the GSX 787 or GS 720 skis. Large gas tanks and more stable for 2 adults but not as playful as the SPX/XP.

I built a 720 GS and I really liked it. More stable than the XP and vert fun to ride. The 720 is a great engine for reliability and economy.

787 is a solid engine if takin care of and my opinion is worth the hp boost from the 720, a gsx could be an option and a 96 xp is definitely a solid ski and very fun.

Only problem with the 787/800 is that the top-end is only good for right at 189 hours before it has to be rebuilt. This is because the cylinder bore will wear allowing the rave valves to get into the piston, which in turn breaks the rings apart busting the piston and impaling ring parts into the cylinder head. It causes major compression loss. That loss will cause the ski to not run on the water. The rave valve mod is the way to go. You can get a rave valve mod to cut them back and extended the life of it. Hope this helps.
9c7df91e3301b8050e38ab67ad10295d.jpg
c8dfaf7674a37a720b5f502bcdf974f0.jpg
9f00a307c85c8eb73d1128f6e220add0.jpg

Last edited:
GSX if two adults on it I liked my 1996 I had for awhile. I never ride with 2 people so I sold it. I consider my X4 a one person Doo.

GSX if two adults on it I liked my 1996 I had for awhile. I never ride with 2 people so I sold it. I consider my X4 a one person Doo.
I consider 2 seaters ONE seaters and 3 seaters TWO seaters. Besides who wants to ride on the back of anything. LOL I'll only ride double for medical emergencies. Ha ha.

To the original poster - Have fun whatever you pic !!

I consider 2 seaters ONE seaters and 3 seaters TWO seaters. Besides who wants to ride on the back of anything. LOL I'll only ride double for medical emergencies. Ha ha.

To the original poster - Have fun whatever you pic !!

Agreed.

PWC's are like tent ratings. The advertised rating is doable but not comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back