Hi all new to forum and boating

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

desertshark

Hi everyone. Would like to start off to say I've read some post already and I'm glad I joined this forum. I've learned a lot in a short period. I'm a hands on guy and don't mind doing some of the work myself but working long hours sometimes I rather have a pro do the repairs so I can take the time on weekends to enjoy the boat rather than work on it. Closest place to me where they allow 2 stroke would be the river at laughlin I live in Vegas and it's banned at the lake.
I have some questions and concerned and hope I can get some help.and please feel free to correct me if I don't use the right words for the parts again I'm new to this.
I bought myself a 97 sea doo speedster 14 ft. That was sitting for about a year.First thing I did I hired a mobile marine mechanic to come to my house to look it over and give tune up he was there couple of hours replaced some filters adjusted couple things changed spark plugs, pulled out tow rope that was stuck in impeller.
So took it out last sunday. Before putting into water i was told to do short dry start then start in water. both motors started right up with yank of choke and push start. So got into the water a whole different story, starboard side started fine port side took couple of tries. Once I got them to idle I pushed on accelerator gradually and port side choked and died out while starboard revved up and no power! So I'm gonna try to shorten the whole day after this part. Basically here's what happened throughout the day. I would have to play with accelerator on both kinda back and forth to build power without slipping so a little push left a little right no it was too much on left pull back now not enough on right push up blah blah blah kinda crap. But when finally I got them to build up without slipping ohhh man it took off! Flew for about 15 minutes or so on full throttle and when I would go back to decelerate I would lose one or the other. Then that's when I got into getting them to fire back up holy crap what a mission!!!! I don't know if it's suppose to but there is no way you can run this boat with one motor especially upstream in a river with it slipping about the 5k mark on rpm. Kept on trying to start second but it wouldn't, I let it rest while running with one. Then went back to fire up and you can hear it trying but no go. I would have to play with accelerator and choke and starter to maybe get lucky. and this basically happened about 4 to 5 times and finally came to a point where I didn't even hear the port side turn over. Eventually got it to go one final time to go as far as upstream I can go to get back on trailer but since I was running one motor at 5k rpm the while time it ran out of gas, switched over to reserve and finally got to load up on trailer.
So definitely a first timers worst nightmare. Please some pointers I have some pics I will post. From what I read sounds like I need new wear rings and carbon seals and what's the deal with the" old school seal" my mechanic was telling me to convert to from carbon?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sounds like you probably also need carburetors rebuilt and tuned. As to the old style seal, your boat was the first or second year of the carbon seal being used. The downside of the carbon seal system is it drips, the older style seal did not drip, however it had roller bearings inside and if not maintained they could seize and then the spinning drive shaft would rip a hole in the end of the boat and it would sink. Personally I prefer the carbon seal drip, if the drip becomes a trickle then the carbon seal needs to be replaced along with the boot and probably the stainless ring (I just replaced mine for this reason last week). Having said this given your location you may want to sell the 97 Speedster and get something that is lake Mead legal, 97 speedster in good condition still sells for $3,000+ maybe $4,000+ away from NV and CA where there are 2 stroke restrictions all over the place

Likely your carbs, they are a common issue when it comes to run-ability.

If you get high rev's but don't really go anywhere, you probably have a cavitation issue. In your case, a bit harder to tell as you were asking the one engine to do most of the work. But,,, if so, then you need to measure the gap from the impeller to the wear ring. If it is wider than the width of a dime, replace the wear ring. You may have a carbon seal issue as well. Was there noticeable water in the hull when you pulled the boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back