Dess issue (attempted theft)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Cslaunwhite

Hey all! new to the forum here so if this was already discussed my apologies. I have a 1996 GTI with the 717 and i keep it at my local marina. Recently I had someone try to "obtain" my GTI for their own personal ownership. When doing so it looks like they cut all 3 wires from the DESS post and tied them all together. Now i am not sure how much voltage runs in these wires (maybe 12V) but i know 1 of them is a signal wire. did this possibly cook the DESS computer or is there a fuse that may have saved it?

Thanks so much for taking the time to view my post! :)

Last edited:
1995 GTX does not have DESS.
Also a 1995 GTX has a 650 engine not 720.

Last two digits of the VIN will be the correct model year.

1995 GTX does not have DESS.
Also a 1995 GTX has a 650 engine not 720.

Last two digits of the VIN will be the correct model year.
Sorry you're correct it could be a 96, It was handed down from a family member so I did not look into the year too much. And I miss typed, it's a GTI. I will fix that, but since the 3 cables got tied (and I reconnected them back) the Sea-doo won't start. I was not sure if 1 of the wires was direct power and could have killed the Computer. But after some digging it looks like that might not be the case and it might be a Fuse.

We need to establish if it actually a DESS model first.
But yes, crossing all the wires could have shorted out the MPEM but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

We need to establish if it actually a DESS model first.
But yes, crossing all the wires could have shorted out the MPEM but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
So it has the Post and the Magnetic key, and its a 3 wire to the post. I don't really know what else it could be other then DESS. Or maybe they had a system before that? Again, my knowledge is limited on this thing..

Back