Challenger 2000 what do i need to check

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadlygunz

Hello, greetings from the netherlands
I bought myself a 2000 challenger year 2003
And i believe its a gen1 240efi
I have already learnt a lot from reading this forum
But i have some questions
The boat has been sitting for a couple of years
But started after 2 sec with some new 1:50 gasoline
But i really want to know what i need to check and look for
I checked the compression with al sparks out and wot it was 130/135 psi on all 6 cyl
I am replacing the impeller en repair the wear ring
The injectors gonna be check en cleaned
New sparkplugs and gear oil and fuel filter
Gastank en oiltank cleaned
And i wanna check the fuel pressure if it is 35psi
Or there other things i really need to check or change/replace before i try it on the water ?

Last edited:
Hello,
Sounds like you have made (or planning to make) all the right steps to revive your engine.

Compression is good.
New spark plugs.
Check and confirm fuel pressure is ~35psi.
Check that when you turn key to ON (not start), that the fuel lift pump (the clickty-clack pump) runs for ~20 seconds. The high pressure pump in the VST (vapor separator tank) should also cycle on and bring fuel pressure to ~35psi.
Did you change the fuel/water separator filter?
I rebuilt my fuel pulse pump (rebuild kits are cheap)... for peace of mind.
Have the injectors professionally serviced (cleaned/tested/adjusted) is a very good idea. I sent my injectors off and found 1 was below spec (lean, needs replaced) and 2 were flooding. And yet with these 3 problem injectors my engine ran fine from what I could tell.

Fresh gas (mixed 50:1 if you removed the oil injection system). If you didn't remove the oil injection system, I'd still pre-mix the first batch of fuel (will make it extra smokey) to ensure the oil injection system is working.

I'd run the engine on the trailer with a water hose attached for cooling. Inspect the engine for any leaking water while running. Check your battery voltage to ensure the alternator/voltage-regulators are working and charging the battery.

On the boat, ensure your bilge pump work (mine works via switch) and your engine compartment blower works (mine is via switch also). Also check all your safety stuff needed to put the boat on the water (lights, fire extinguisher, etc.). Make sure your drain plugs are in. I'd consider an extra battery on the first sea-trial in case you end up needing to do a lot of engine cranking to get it started. Also take an extra fuel can with fuel, in case you burn through your first tank faster than planned... and/or the fuel level gauge doesn't work (don't ask me how I know!).

With all that sorted, I'd put the boat in the water. First launch, stay near the dock and ensure the boat is not taking on water (cracked hull, or other problems). If staying dry... take it out, warm up the engine and "give 'er the beans!".

Cheers!

Thanks alot for youre reply
Yeah this forum helped me alot to make a little plan on what to do
The fuel lift pump is not original anymore i wil look for a new one but here in europe is hard to find/order parts
Can you please tel me de part number of the rebuilt kit for the pulse pump
I wil have a look at the seperator filter
For the oil injection its stil on but i dont know how to check if its working properly
And i dont want to premix cause of the different mix in idle and high rpm 1:100 to 1:50
And are there bearing or sealing i need to check ?
Thanks alot

Mercury fuel pulse pump rebuild kit part # 21-857005A1
ebay link: 21-857005A1 Fuel Pump Diaphragm Kit for Mercury Mariner SportJet Outboards | eBay

Best way to determine if oil injection is working is to mark the oil tank and run the engine (using premixed fuel). Some time later the oil level should be lower. My 240 (gen1) had the smaller top-engine oil tank, and the larger main oil tank off to the side. The main tank feeds the top tank via pressure from the engine. You may need to figure out a way to stop the main tank from feeding the top tank, so you can mark and ensure the oil level is going down easier in the top tank. Once satisfied oil injection is working, reconnect the main tank to top tank for proper oil feeding.

Regarding bearing/sealing. The jet-pump has 2 separate lubrication areas that need to have gear oil in them. The gearbox (more forward) and the stator housing. When you replace your impeller and repair your wear ring (wear ring is not removable)... you should drain and refill your jet-pump oils.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back