Challenger 2000 ('00) Reman Powerhead 210 hp merc, now more problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mercury rebuild kit P/N 1395-8116913, you need three kits, one for each of the three carburetors (guessing you're aware of this, just making sure).

Well the rain here in northeast finally stopped and we installed the carb kits. Boat started and ran poorly. Some adjustments to mixture screws and the boat would not start. Returned screws to original position and still not start. Also changed the enrichment value before the carb kits and it did start. Just figured might as well do the carbs to be sure. But now out quite a bit of cash and boat is still dead. I still think engine is not getting fuel

I have now checked the fuel line between the fuel primer and the fuel pump and that seems to be moving fuel when I crank. Put in a clear line to see and then replaced with new line. The old line was not in good shape and while it looked ok from the outside, had not been changed when the remanufacture PH was installed. Also when I push down the button on the enrichment valve, gas comes out after holding open for 5-10 seconds. So seems like gas is getting to the EV and carbs. I am stuck again.

Well I cannot explain this well, but the boat is working again. We did so many things so I am not sure I can say any one was the root cause of the issue. however, yesterday I found a very small oil line that goes from the pump to 6 locations on the powerhead very close to where the carbs mount. The one at the very bottom was not connected and the hose was damaged. I have no idea how long it had been that way. I had installed a batter case and charger in that area...maybe I somehow pulled this off...I have no idea. So we had changed out all fuel lines, the enrichment valve and did the carb rebuild to no success. As a last resort a little adjustment of the idle set screw and she fired up immediately. Weeks of nothing...maybe a little sputter and a rare backfire....now started with no struggle. Adjusted the idle back to about 1300 (a little high for now) and took out for slow test and ran better than before. Returned, put the air box back on went out for a longer ride, took it up to 5500 rpm with no issue, no alarms....no problem.

Not thrilled I do not have a root cause since now I am not trusting the boat too much. But seems we are back in business. Thanks to all those who responded here. If not for your responses...I would have given up weeks ago. And the other silver lining is I actually found someone under 2 hours from here who supposedly works on a lot of these types of boats.

Well I cannot explain this well, but the boat is working again. We did so many things so I am not sure I can say any one was the root cause of the issue. however, yesterday I found a very small oil line that goes from the pump to 6 locations on the powerhead very close to where the carbs mount. The one at the very bottom was not connected and the hose was damaged. I have no idea how long it had been that way. I had installed a batter case and charger in that area...maybe I somehow pulled this off...I have no idea. So we had changed out all fuel lines, the enrichment valve and did the carb rebuild to no success. As a last resort a little adjustment of the idle set screw and she fired up immediately. Weeks of nothing...maybe a little sputter and a rare backfire....now started with no struggle. Adjusted the idle back to about 1300 (a little high for now) and took out for slow test and ran better than before. Returned, put the air box back on went out for a longer ride, took it up to 5500 rpm with no issue, no alarms....no problem.

Not thrilled I do not have a root cause since now I am not trusting the boat too much. But seems we are back in business. Thanks to all those who responded here. If not for your responses...I would have given up weeks ago. And the other silver lining is I actually found someone under 2 hours from here who supposedly works on a lot of these types of boats.

Glad you are back on the water.

I suspect your throttle plates were not open enough to run.

You may have found a 1 in 100 service shop.

Glad to hear you're having better luck with the boat. Hopefully it continues to run well for you and you gain confidence in it and enjoy it.

Well the fun did not last long. Ran great last Sunday. Got back to the lake Thursday and it started easily. Did not take it out....just wanted to be sure it was still working. Friday was a beautiful day so went and loaded up for a ride and ..... yup, no start. Just like before. However, a little fiddle with the idle and it started up. I don't get it.

But the real issue was after we rode for about 20 minutes we turned off and kids swam for about an hour. Boat started hard, but started after several tries. got back in the cove for the no wake and the beep went off. Had not heard it since before all the no starting issue. That beep was really my initial reason for posting. So that is back. And there is no way the motor is hot after sitting an hour and running for maybe 2 minutes at 3000 rpm. And this morning I started it.....difficult, but started, and it ran for less than a minute and the beep went off again. I have flushed the water lines so there is no blockage.

So not sure if the constant beep is something else and not high temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back