2008 Seadoo Wake 215 taking water (thinking it could be a bad carbon seal) or perhaps something else.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malforces

Hello!
I purchased the unit as a non running unit, the previous owner took some water and performed the water evacuation but them had some engine code issues and could not get it started.
I was able to get started after checking all electrical connections making sure they were dried and making good contact.
I checked oil for water contamination and looks ok.
I tried the unit on the water but attached to the trailer as the previous owner indicated water on the engine compartment, I got it up to 5500 rpms and there was no water coming in.
I did a quick test by doing a full circle very close to shore at low speed and still no water.
When I did a fast take off I noticed some hesitation to get to speed and then it got to 50 very fast and water started to coming into the engine compartment I was able to get to the trailer on tine.
I’m planning to check everything and perform any needed maintenance (oil change, pump check and rebuild as needed, supercharger rebuild as soon as I get the right tools)
The engine runs pretty well and has lots of power (79 hours on it).
Wondering if what I described above are 100% symptoms of a bad carbon seal and can a check be performed again attached to the trailer (higher rpms) to be sure is the seal or perhaps the unit needs to be in motion in order for the water to come into the engine compartment.
Any information will be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Carlos

So with a leaking carbon seal...water will spray into the engine,,,can. reach the intake, I,put in a rebuilt motor rently,,(mine),,,and right of the hole,,,the motor would rev,..but the ski would go NOWHERE!,,,So secure the ski to the trailor,,,back it into the water, ,seat off,,,pull the carbon ring cover backwards,,, rev it up,,,and see how much water comes in.

Last edited:
So with a leaking carbon seal...water wispray into the engine,,,will reach the intake,put in a rebuilt motor,,,(mine),,,and right of the hole,,,the motor would rev,..and ski would go NOWHERE!,,,so,,secure the ski to the trailor,,,back it in,,,seat off,,,pull the ring cover backwards,,,and rev it up,,,and see how much water comes in.
Poops,
I ran it and got the same results no water in the engine compartment; I went up to 7,000 AND 8,000 RPMS for a while and no water is present in the engine compartment. The Carbon Seal area is dry.
Wondering if my issue is something else as it looks to only happen when in motion.
Any ideas of what else I need to inspect.
There are no holes on the hull or any thing loose I can see.
I'll let it cool a little and I'll inspect all hoses. I checked before and everything looks ok but I'll triple check and mark each hose to make sure I inspect all of them.

Other possible points if entry is the ibr motor seal...does it have OPAS?,,,they can leak as well....is the water cold lake water,,,or hot,,,

Other possible points if entry is the ibr motor seal...does it have OPAS?,,,they can leak as well....is the water cold lake water,,,or hot,,,
I was looking at that area as this is the first jetski I own that has OPAS.
If I recall correctly the water was kind of warm so I was suspecting something with the exhaust system,
I’ll run one more test and monitor water temperature.
I was thinking about the OPAS as I see some type of rubber boots there.
Thanks for the information I was about to start taking apart the exhaust system but I’ll verify the OPAS first as the water is coming in when in motion at high speed.
Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me, I’ll let you know my findings.

Also check all your hoses that attach at the rear of the ski - specifically the exhaust cooling hose that is under pressure from the jet pump to the exhaust manifold. Make sure all the clamps are tight and not broken from rusted bands.

To eliminate the opas from the equation,,,insert drain plugs,,,tip boat up high as possible,,,fill the rear up with water,,,if there us a leak you will see water dripping out of the opas openings...

Not an expert but some thoughts...

Interesting when you say is at High RPM only you get water? I had water on mine last weeks... to diagnose I put it in the dock and monitor it with nothing on.. Bring a water pump just to be safe..

I found that after a few minutes under the engine, water will be collected. In my case was the actuator join and some of the screws to the ride plate. I epoxy the nuts and sealant the threads, gasket for the actuator.

High Revs will make me believe is the Carbon Seal. Look for "black line" mark.. it should be noticeable if is that.

You also mention engine power.. that will be different. Did you change spark plugs? that will be the #1 thing as the foul quickly. Are coils good? Else sound like come to be the "super charger"...

Which I don't get why they call it "super charger" as they seem to me like Turbo chargers.. Sounds like Audi calling it 3.0T when is a super charger.. not a turbo.

Which I don't get why they call it "super charger" as they seem to me like Turbo chargers.. Sounds like Audi calling it 3.0T when is a super charger.. not a turbo.

Superchargers are driven off the engine by gearing or belts. Turbo chargers are driven off the exhaust force which is why they have "turbo lag".

Just ride it with the seat off. I'm sure you'll find the leak.

Also check all your hoses that attach at the rear of the ski - specifically the exhaust cooling hose that is under pressure from the jet pump to the exhaust manifold. Make sure all the clamps are tight and not broken from rusted bands.
Sorry for the very late reply but I just got back from vacation.
I’ll check all the hoses and verify that they are properly attached.

Interesting when you say is at High RPM only you get water? I had water on mine last weeks... to diagnose I put it in the dock and monitor it with nothing on.. Bring a water pump just to be safe..

I found that after a few minutes under the engine, water will be collected. In my case was the actuator join and some of the screws to the ride plate. I epoxy the nuts and sealant the threads, gasket for the actuator.

High Revs will make me believe is the Carbon Seal. Look for "black line" mark.. it should be noticeable if is that.

You also mention engine power.. that will be different. Did you change spark plugs? that will be the #1 thing as the foul quickly. Are coils good? Else sound like come to be the "super charger"...

To eliminate the opas from the equation,,,insert drain plugs,,,tip boat up high as possible,,,fill the rear up with water,,,if there us a leak you will see water dripping out of the opas openings...
Thanks so much for the very good information.
This test will let me know for certain that the leak is coming from the OPAS seal tube.
Easy test.
I’ll transfers the jet ski back to the trailer so I can easily tilt it.
Once again thanks for sharing all this knowledge very much appreciated

I verified the OPAS seal tube by doing the test as indicated on the thread I did not have any water coming out from the OPAS system area.

very weird that I only see to get water into the engine compartment when in MOTION.

I Have run the engine and rev it high when still attached to the trailer and no water is present in the engine compartment but as soon as I take the sky off the trailer and get some speed I see water coming in into the compartment and it gets water quickly so I have to be sure to be close to my trailer so I do not sink the jet sky.

the watering in the engine compartment is cold perhaps a tiny bit warm (I'm in Seattle and using Puget Sound as I have easy access to it).

I'll continue testing and see if I can identify where the water is coming from.

Is the water cold or hot?
it is cold. that is one of the first thing somebody mentioned to check as it can indicated where is coming from.

I'll run the test one more time and this time I'll try to peel the back the little cover that goes over the carbon seal to see if there is water coming out from that area when in motion.

I can't see where the water is coming from; this is so frustrating.

I'll verify water temperature of the water in the Puget Sound and then verify the water temperature of the water coming into the jetski engine compartment (I'll take a thermometer with me so I can provide accurate information here)

Is the water cold or hot?
MacSeadoo to be exact the difference between the water from the Puget Sound and the water that gets inside the engine compartment is 25 degrees Fahrenheit so it is a little bit warmer.
What is super confusing to me is why I only get water when in motion.
I can run the engine at very high rpms tied to the trailer and there is no water coming in.
Wondering if there is something that gets pressurized when the jetski is in motion (like the OPAS to lift the vanes) that I might be overlooking.
This 2008 wake project jetski is definitely different and more complex than the 2 strokes but I’ll make sure to study the system and learn as much as possible.

The exhaust cooling hose is pressurized from The jet pump when in the water. That is why I have stressed that you really check the hose clamp at the back of the hull (known to rust and fail) allowing the jet pump pressure to push the hose off or at least start to leak At the back of the hull. It is the hose that goes to the exhaust manifold. Just double check it really good, and I don’t think the hose itself would fail, but check it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back