RESTO 1997 xp seat cover diy

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJDaveOtt

Just to get out on the water early this past season, I did a quick wrap of clearance vinyl so my butt and more importantly, the ladies butts wouldn't get pinched by the old seat cover.. Now it's the end of the season and I purchased a sewing machine to do some work on the boat seats and cover...Thought I'd start with these guys. Did the xp and plan on doing a little more elaborate sewing on the gs as I learn and become more comfortable with the machine.. Not too shabby for less than $20 worth of vinyl. Hell, the stainless steel staples might be the most expensive part of this job!
I left the original seat cover on. Used gaffer tape to secure the cracks. Wrapped and spray glued (3M adhesive) with grey marine vinyl from Joann Fabrics, with a 50% off coupon of course ;)
It made it though the summer never being covered but looked pretty bad..

Made a pattern with the pattern material from the fabric store and traced it onto yellow and black vinyl. Sewed with UV resistant thread using a Husqvarna Emerald 118. Added additional foam, about 1/8th inch thick, that I spray glued to the grey vinyl. Then spray glued the newly sewn cover and stretched and stapled it. The additional foam has hidden the imperfections and it looks much better now than at any point since I have owned it.

I'm aware it's not perfect, so save the hate for another thread. Also, I'm not bragging, I am proud though...just hoping to pass on some useful information to anyone that may be considering a project like this. I will post pictures of the gs when I get to it. I plan on using purple, white, and some of my leftover yellow if possible. Could come out nice, could be a flop...we'll see I guess!

image1 (1).jpeg

That looks great!
I know most people don't use the spray glue simply because it prevents you from stretching the vinyl uniformly over the seat.

Looks like a very nice place to take a load off and spend the afternoon. Great job saving the old seat. You've upped the appeal of the ski quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back