In need of engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

wils0720

Hi - I'm new to this forum. My cousing is giving me a 1991 Sea Doo waverunner. I need to find an engine for this. Can someone direct me to where I can find these (websites, etc)?

Any assitance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello and Welcome!

Welcome to the Seadoo forum. We're glad your here.
The engine for this model Seadoo is the 580 Rotax. You can still find these engines on the web at places like Ebay or SBT. Both are good places in finding a newly remanfactured engine. Problem is, you need a core to send back in. You don't state whether or not you have the old engine still in the ski, but if you don't, you'll be looking at an extra $300 bucks on top of the engine charge, which will be about $650-$700, depending on where you get it. But for a complete engine with no core, I'd say your looking at roughly $1000. This is usually only the short block, so if you don't have that other engine, you'll need to get the carbs, rotary valve, magneto and other parts to complete the set up, which could run you over $1500.
Not to discourage your wanting to fix this Doo, but if you have an empty hull, the expense of putting it back together outway the cost of looking for a used one for sale in the paper. The total value of this Doo in the Kelly blue book, in excellent operating condition is about $1000. So, unless you have an engine already there to get parts from and use as a core for a replacement, it probably isn't feasible to invest money into it.
I hope this gives you some insight as to what you have on hand and what your wanting to do.

Back