1997.5 GSX LTD Dual Carb Lines (Fuel & Air)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Palm9473

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster... Have a '98 GSX Limited and had to rebuild the engine a bit over the last few years. Without going into detail as to why it took 'a few years', upon putting it back together, i had a VERY VERY VERY difficult time finding any sort of hose routing for both fuel and air lines, i.e. what goes where. Nothing is straight forward enough to just say "this nipple has a hose that leads to this nipple, etc.". There are also more carbs than i care to mention for these things, and not a single one of them looked 100% like mine. So i took the liberty to attempt this based on a handful of YouTube videos and searching on this forum. There is a chance that i am wrong but i attached the diagrams below anyways, in hopes this will help others in the future. Please let me know if anyone catches incorrect routing as i am still 4 days away from finishing this up (waiting for a shipment before bolting these on).

1691419285911.png98 GSX LTD Carbs2.PNG98 GSX LTD Carbs3.PNG98 GSX LTD Carbs4.PNG98 GSX LTD Carbs5.PNG98 GSX LTD Carbs6.PNG

Thanks,
Jon

Attachments

• 98 GSX LTD Carbs1.PNG
    98 GSX LTD Carbs1.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
You do not have a 1998 GSX, you have the one year model, 1997.5 GSX also known as the Grey Ghost.

It was a mess because seadoo had to meet strict EPA regulations and it had a lot of problems.

You need to cap the Solenoid feed and leave the two small nipples #9 & #10 open for the carbs to work properly.

See this thread for a better explanation... 1997.5 GSX Limited Brand new motor help!

You do not have a 1998 GSX, you have the one year model, 1997.5 GSX also known as the Grey Ghost.

It was a mess because seadoo had to meet strict EPA regulations and it had a lot of problems.

You need to cap the Solenoid feed and leave the two small nipples #9 & #10 open for the carbs to work properly.

See this thread for a better explanation... 1997.5 GSX Limited Brand new motor help!
Thank you very much mikidymac! I just read the whole thread. I hope my photos save some people a bit of headache in the future.

Hi, I am not sure if I should continue on this tread or start a new one, as I also have the 1997.5 grey ghost. It currently will not start after changing out the tempo fuel lines and rebuilding the carbs. I installed a 1998 carb rebuild kit and then realized I have the 1997.5 with the different carbs and pop-off spring pressure. I reinstalled the old springs and both carbs hold pressure at 25 to 27 lbs. Now it cranks and cranks and blows a huge backfire at the rear exhaust boot. ripping a hole in it. seems like an ignition timing issue?

Sounds like it is flooded and causing the backfire.
I would go back to the correct carb settings.

Thanks for the reply mikidymac, I had thought of flooding also as the extra fuel is building up in the exhaust until boom. I crank it with the plugs out to clear any fuel. then reinstall the plugs and not even a hint of a fire until I pull the choke on it. then it will give a few small coughs and backfires and if I keep going thinking it may start we're asking for the huge backfire in the exhaust boot. you need ear protection. I then thought it was the pop-off pressure, the heavy springs were holding the needles closed, no fuel then suddenly they would go wide open under too much pressure and flood it. so I put the stock springs back in and made sure the o rings weren't leaking the same results. my accelerator pump diaphragm also does not push itself back out with the fuel pressure. the restrictor is in the feed line and the check valve is in the outline of the carbs.
Thank you for any help or suggestions, I am thinking about trying to find later model carbs, but it was running allthough with a bad hesitation when accelerating, thats why the tempo line removal and carb rebuild.

Back